About Lithuania and Kaunas
UŽTRUKSITE 1 MIN! Susisieksime su jumis per 24 valandas!
Lithuania: numbers and main information
- Geographical location: The Republic of Lithuania lies on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea.
- Government: Democratic Republic
- Currency: Euro
- International partnership: NATO, EU and Schengen area
- Population: 2 823 000
- Official language: Lithuanian. Most people also speak English, Russian, Polish or German.
- Religion: Roman Catholic (approximately 80% of the total population). Others include Orthodox, Old Believers, Lutheran, Reformat, Jewish, Sunni, Karaite and other communities.
- Capital: Vilnius
- Local time: GMT + 2 hours
- International telephone code: +370
More information: http://www.lithuania.travel/
Some interesting facts about Lithuania:
- According to a study made by a French scientist in 1989, Lithuania is in the geographical center of Europe;
- The name of Lithuania was mentioned for the first time in 1009.
- The Lithuanian language is a unique and ancient language, the oldest Indo-European living language, and the language that is the closest existing language to ancient Indian language of Sanscrit.
- By the end of the fourteenth century, Lithuania was the largest country in Europe.
- Lithuanian constitution of 3 May 1791 was the first in Europe and second in the world.
- Lithuania is a European Union and NATO member since 2004.
- Now it is known as a secure, peaceful, friendly and quiet country.
- Lithuania has the largest number of doctors per capita in Central and Eastern Europe.
- No.1. We are world leaders in the provision of the best public Internet.
- Lithuania ranks 4th globally for information technology skills.
- Forest covers 1/3 of the country, including many protected regions and national parks.
- The Stelmuze oak is the oldest tree in Europe. It is 1 500 years old.
- There are around 6,000 lakes in Lithuania.
- We are proud of: basketball, beer, exceptional traditional kitchen, lazer technologies, Unesco world heritage coastline, many historical monuments.
- Lithuania is the only country in the world with its own official scent called, appropriately enough, the Scent Of Lithuania.
- There are more hot air balloons per head of population in Lithuania than in any other country.
Kaunas – the centre of Lithuania
“GP clinic” is situated in the city of Kaunas.
Some facts about Kaunas:
- It is the second largest city of Lithuania.
- Kaunas is situated in the center of the country. It is very comfortable for travelers to reach any point of Lithuania from Kaunas. Due to its geographical position, today, Kaunas is Lithuania‘s most important center of communication.
- The city is located at the confluence of the two largest rivers Nemunas and Neris.
- It is a green city, with many trees.
- The city is famous for its Interwar architecture which was awarded the European Heritage label and is on its way to UNESCO. Kaunas is the only city in the world where so much of the style of the buildings has survived to the present day.
- Kaunas is a colorful city, famous by its street art, with probably the only square in the world that you can‘t get into – George Maciunas square, inspired by FLUXUS movement.
- Kaunas is a modern city, with many business centers, number of modern conference facilities and quality services.
- Kaunas is proud of its great number of museums, theatres, universities, hotels, restaurants, cafes and bars.
- Kaunas will be the European Capital of Culture 2022.
More information about Kaunas: http://visit.kaunas.lt/en/